Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Break


I poured piping hot coffee into my favorite mug this morning. A slow crack started to form at the rim and descended down the handle spilling coffee all over the counter in what could only be a Cosmic Monday fuck you.

Is this what I get for prying myself out of bed to stick my face in First Aid?

I decided to take my car to get its oil changed. The sticker on my wind shield from last time has been silently judging me for months.

I pick up the car. “You need new brakes,” they tell me. “Oh and the fan belts are cracked and your front axel is about to break, so don’t take sharp turns at freeway speed if you want to live,” the car guy causally mentions, handing me the bill.

I drive home in my death trap of a car. What can I say, I like living dangerously.

I open my laptop. My desktop flashes up and the screen suddenly goes dark. I hit the escape key. Nothing. Then I mash on all of the keys to no avail. Hopefully its just out of battery and not horribly broken. I plug it in and pull out First Aid and my blue highlighter.

I start reading and highlighting and half way down the page my highlighter runs dry, squeaking out its last droplet of juice. I throw it at my bedroom wall as hard as I can.

“What the hell,” Roshelle texts me. I forgot our bedrooms share that wall.

“Sorry,” I reply “highlighter trouble.”

Remember that almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a little while-- including you. Unplug when the day isn’t really working out the way you thought it would. Or when everything seems hard and complicated. Or when 9:30am is too early for wine.

Everything breaks. The physical stuff we surround ourselves with has its limits and our bodies do too. They break—if you live long enough eventually something will go wrong. So if you're starting to feel the cracks in your sanity or the dull ache of a heavy backpack, or frayed nerves remember the wise words of Chris Pratt....


“Don’t give up. Apply constant pressure for as long as it takes. It will break before you do. Go get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment